PROCHLORPERAZINE - a patient's guide
This medicine is called a phenothiazine which is mainly indicated for the relief of severe nausea, vomiting, vertigo, and also anxiety/psychosis related conditions.
Its mode of action mainly involves blocking dopamine and histamine receptors involved within the vomiting centre which has an anti-emetic effect, relieving nausea and vomiting.
Stemetil suppositories are also useful for severe vomiting, when tablets cannot be kept down.
- Hypersensitivity to phenothiazines
- Liver and kidney impairment
- Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Hypothyroidism, myaesthenia gravis (muscles weakness disorder)
- Children, elderly
- Glaucoma or prostate problems
- Exposure to hot/cold extremities
Drowsiness, dry mouth and impaired concentration are the most common adverse effects likely to occur.
Occasional nasal congestion, mild skin reactions, dizziness, insomnia, photosensitivity, tardive dyskinesia (facial spasm) and Parkinson-like effects can also occur (esp. in patients on high doses or long term therapy).
Rarely blood disorders, liver impairment and gynaecomastia (enlarged breast tissue) have also been reported.
Overdose: marked sedation, dizziness, heart irregularities, hypothermia - seek urgent medical help
Additive effects seen with alcohol, opoid analgesics and CNS depressants (sedatives, barbituates etc).
- Follow instructions carefully on the label of this medicine (do not exceed recommended dosage)
- AVOID ALCOHOL because this medicine will cause excess sedation
- Caution: driving or operating machinery because this medicine may cause drowsiness
- Avoid excess exposure to direct sunlight or sun lamps as this medicine can cause photosensitivity
- Avoid hot/cold extremities due to a higher risk of hyper/hypothermia
- Do not take this medicine with calcium (milk) or iron supplements (for approx. 4 hours)
- Place Buccastem tablet between gum and top lip or as directed and allow to dissolve
- Do not take any other medicines unless directed by your doctor/ pharmacist
- Contact your doctor or seek urgent medical attention if side effects are severe or ongoing.